Thursday, October 6, 2011

Your Homework!;-)

There are two assignments for you.  First, please write a blogpost of one to three (or more) paragraphs in which you react to "The Epic of Gilgamesh."  If you wish, you may use the following as prompts.  Second, please post one or more comments here on my blog in response to one (or more!) of the following questions:

1) What does the story say about love and/or the fear of death?
2) How does Gilgamesh feel at the end of the story?  Has he resigned himself to dying?
3) What do you think about the presentation of the females in the story (Mrs. Uta-napishti, as well as Belet-ili, the goddess)?
4.) How does the story support the status quo as it existed in the time of the story?

--
Reminder: please bring the same papers next week; we will be reading the early chapters of Genesis together.

7 comments:

  1. Hi Nathan.

    Here is my response to your question number 2.

    I think Gilgamesh is very disappointed with himself because he spilt his chance to obtain eternal life. I believe the unknown author wants to convey to the reader that Gilgamesh realizes that he, eventually, will not live forever by suddenly shift to describe Gilgamesh’s hometown at the very end of the story.

    Henriette

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (Hong)
    Response No. 2

    Gilgamesh has failed many chances to get eternal life. He finally realizes that he can't get eternal life, and then he gives up living eternally. So, he decides to accept his limited life, and make his country better place.
    I think Gilgamesh feels a little peacefulness at the last moment of story even though he notices he can't live forever.


    Anyway.. How can I put my name?? :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. To question 1,
    I think the story tells us that God give us life as well as death; The way we make use of our life is our own business.
    Well...life is made of atoms; so we are all the same age--no matter dead people or new-borns. What makes difference is only chemistry.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hong, you can sign in with your Google Account, and then your name will automatically be used. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will be responding to each person who leaves comments here, and I want to thank Henriette, Hong, and Xiaoyue for doing so already. I'll wait to respond, though, until after our work from wherever class finishes so that I don't prejudice the responses of other students.

    ReplyDelete